Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

finally, some dance talk.

Guys, it's time that I finally start to talk about dance. Seeing as I've been doing it seriously for the past four years, am about to graduate with a degree in dance, and the name of this website is The Dancing Carrot. Plus I've had a couple of awesome dance experiences this past weekend. 


First, I auditioned for the show So You Think You Can Dance. Again. I auditioned the spring semester before I got into the dance department at the U, and obviously failed because you didn't see me on TV. Well, I can firmly tell you that you will not see me again. Unless they show a clip where I'm looking skeptically at the crazy screaming people. Seriously, cameras make people act weird. However, after spending 12+ hours watching other people dance, my resolve to dance like I do turned from a liquid-y concrete mix to a hardened cement slab that will not yield no matter how many people walk on it. It's really hard to change your dancing style in a matter of minutes, especially when a British producer is telling you to be unique while simultaneously choosing the exact same kind of dancer time after time. Plus it's not good for a person's character to change. If I learned anything and can relate it to you, it would be to always be growing, but always stay true to yourself. Why would you want to look back at some (perhaps amazing, but fake) stuff and not recognize who did it all?


The second awesome thing to happen last week was I was a student performer with a touring dance company from San Francisco, Joe Goode Performance Group. I had a couple of rehearsals with them and their dog which is just about the cutest thing I have ever seen. They are lovely, mellow, and completely Californian. I don't have a clip of me dancing with them, but here's a video to leave you with. Just imagine a flash of red hair every now and then. 



No comments:

Post a Comment