Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

what happens when you live in a small town for a summer.

As some of you may know, I spent my summer working at a Boy Scout summer camp that was housed in a very small town. I mean very. The combined two cities that were within a half hour's drive couldn't equal to more than 1,000 residents. The phrase "small town" usually implies, at least to me, that the area is mostly farm and this place was no exception. Everyone had trucks, tractors, and trailers. Ooh, and farmer's tans. I used to hate trucks because they get terrible gas mileage and cost a lot of money. Then I drove the camp vehicle...An F-150. Cherry red. I fell in love instantly. It was big. It was powerful. It was fast. It was all I needed from any automobile. Call me power hungry/environment killer/American consumer, but driving that truck changed my life. So did listening to the radio in that small town. I don't really like pop music and the only other station was, you guessed it, country. My tentmate also loved country and would play it often so it was fate that I would grow to like it. Again. I had this country phase in elementary school, but grew out of it probably because none of my other friends listened to it. I also had an oldies phase (not classic rock, but older), *NSYNC phase, classic rock phase, and rap phase (which thankfully did not last very long), but I digress. Because I have a newfound love of country, my iTunes has acquired many new songs, including all the ones by Taylor Swift. I don't care if her past songs don't relate to you because she wrote them when she was 15, but I urge you to listen to her new CD. URGE!! It's called Speak Now and I couldn't agree more with the title. Around some people I have been known to say my mind, even though my mom wishes this would happen a little less. This CD does exactly what I do. Except for she reaches millions of people and I don't. Either way, I love what she's done, stand behind her, and desire for you to listen to her songs! What is even cooler is that she's put her inspiration for all of her songs on her website so that anyone can see what her songs are about. Way cool. I love it when I find out I'm not the only one with a fiery temperament. 

2 comments:

  1. Tell your readers about driving a Ford F350 (1 ton) longbed, crewcab diesel. Now there's a power trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try growing up there. I'm obsessed with big trucks! I will have one some day.

    ReplyDelete